Maths for the Wise
Count on me (for Nursery and Reception)
Foundation Phase Foot Parade
This activity allows students an opportunity to think creatively about numbers. Students use animals to model different ways to make a total by adding the number of feet in their parade. The activity includes animal cards to colour, cut, and paste.
For younger students, we have now added even bigger cards you can download below.
KS2 Maths Multiplication Matching Cards
In this activity we use the familiar structure of cards, but we have moved the emphasis to number sense and the understanding of multiplication without any time constraints. This activity encourages students to make connections between different representations of numbers and gain flexibility with multiplication. The cards are all laid out on a table and the student matches all the cards that represent the same number.
What’s Going On Outside Your Window Wat's Dyke?
This activity encourages students of all ages to take a deeper look at a familiar view: right outside their window. Students are asked to collect data on what they see and report it in a creative visual representation.
Pick a time window: It can be 5 minutes or all day long, and keep an eye out for what happens. Are people walking by? Birds hanging out? How many trees can you see? Find a way to visualize the information you collect. Maybe a timeline or a chart? Be your most creative self! Share your findings with us by using the hashtag #YoucubedAtHome on social media!
And I’m A Mathematician
Everyone is a mathematician! Make posters sharing the many aspects of your identity and add to it “And I’m a mathematician” – because we all are! You can see a couple of examples above for inspiration. Tweet us your posters @youcubed #YoucubedatHome!
Youcubed at Home
In these times of uncertainty, youcubed is here to help students at home continue to explore and learn maths in rich and creative ways. We are collecting here modified versions of our tasks to be more home-friendly, as well as some new explorations designed for learners at home.
Please help us distribute these to anyone who might use them and share your students’ work with our community using the hashtag #YoucubedAtHome in social media.
Home Lessons During School Closures
Information, resources and links for the daily home maths lessons hosted by Gareth Metcalfe during the UK school closures for Covid-19.
Telling the time
Maths You Tube Videos for Home Learning
- Gareth Metcalfe I See Maths superb daily lessons https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfyh0qIIwTEV8ktNRI0x5-g
- Mr Barton Maths Beat The Nation if you think you are smart enough https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbartonmaths1
- The Numberblocks channel has lots of great videos to help younger children learn about numbers, addition and subtraction.
- The Numberjacks are a group of superhero numbers who appear in educational videos that cover thinking skills, problem solving and maths.
- The Singing Walrus has lots of songs to teach children about numbers and counting.
- Hopscotch has songs to help your children with counting.
- Mr DeMaio creates fantastic educational videos, including this playlist of songs to help your children learn their multiplication tables.
- Laugh Along and Learn also have a collection of Times Tables songs that your children can sing!
- This playlist from Happy Learning English has some times tables songs, as well as videos about shapes and measurements.
- Math & Learning Videos 4 Kids have a wide range of videos about different maths topics.
- This playlist from BBC Teach explores how maths is used in different areas of life and work. It also includes videos about number, measure and shape concepts.